My childhood best friend opened up a vintage cupcake trailer in my hometown of Portland, Maine a few years ago and it is fantastic!
The trailer is over the top adorable and it even has a mini oven inside you can actually bake out of!
I am fortunate enough to have the opportunity to take my kids and visit Maine every summer…and if anyone of you has ever been to Maine, you’ll know it is absolutely breathtaking in the summer.
So one summer day while I was there, I took my daughter (Penelope) to Love Cupcakes for a visit and it was such a magical day. My BFF, Penelope and I spent the day frosting cupcakes, serving happy customers and, of course eating lots and lots of cupcakes!
Another thing that I loved about her business is all of her cupcakes are all natural and many of them are vegan. Since this day, I have been hooked on vegan cupcakes and my daughter and I bake pink cupcakes together every year for her birthday!
Many of the recipes my friend used came from the book Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.
Here is the one I am hooked on!
Strawberry & Golden Vanilla Vegan Cupcake Recipe
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups all- purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. almond, caramel, or more vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance (vegan butter)
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup soy milk
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2) Whisk the soy milk and vinegar together, set aside for a few minutes and allow it to curdle
3) Beat together the soy milk, oil, sugar, vanilla in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until no large lumps remain.
4) Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 20-22 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.
1) Beat the shortening and vegan butter together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.
2) Add the vanilla and soy milk and beat for another 5-7 minutes until fluffy
3) To frost your cupcakes use a pastry bag or spatula
A few tips:
To make your frosting (only) strawberry, omit the vanilla and just mash in a handful of fresh strawberries! (Or use any fruit you wish).
I have substituted olive oil for canola oil – and I used almond milk instead of soy milk.
I like to buy mostly organic ingredients when baking these to keep this an organic recipe, in addition to being vegan.
I got really into baking vegan cupcakes for a while so I bought reusable cloth pastry bags on-line, however, I know they sell reusable generic pastry bags from Bed Bath & Beyond.
If you decide to make these, I’d love to hear about it.
Enjoy!?Hey! I AM My Imagination does social media